nagios passive checking experience?

Mike Karmindro mkarmindro at opentable.com
Wed Dec 21 20:17:35 CET 2005

After further research, passive checking seems to be a viable solution for
our company.  However, I had some questions.  As I understand it, external
applications can submit service check results to the external command file,
and nagios can be specified to poll this file for new submissions at a
certain rate.  To achieve the most immediate responses, should I just set
the polling interval for the external command file checking to something
like 1 minute or less?  or can I use event handlers to trigger immediate
response from nagios?   My question is, is it possible to wire up an
external application's service check result to an event handler that would
get immediate response when writing to the external command file?  In the
docs, it states:

When Does Nagios Check For External Commands?

-At regular intervals specified by the command_check_interval option in the
main configuration file
-Immediately after event handlers are executed. This is in addtion to the
regular cycle of external command checks and is done to provide immediate
action if an event handler submits commands to Nagios.

Ideally, I would opt for the latter method with the event handlers, but not
sure if this will work with passive checking?

Thanks!