Performance values, what to use? (Was: Documentation Error)

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Sep 8 02:21:46 CEST 2004

Ben Clewett wrote:

> All systems have to use the same format, as specified in the documentation:
>
> http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html#AEN185
>
> Unfortunately there are holes in this documentation.  I have also seen
> requests to amend this documentation to add more features, and patch up
> the holes.

I have somehow missed these discussions.

> Which have been, for what ever reason, ignored by these news groups.
>
> I would personally like to see NULL, -INF and +INF supported as possible
> values.  Which PP and RRD can use in their own ways. :)

I do not remember seeing any concrete proposals to that effect. But I
would generally support the addition of token to represent these values.

Bear in mind that perfdata is not always numeric - it may be a string
value. So what ever means are used to encode a token for the above cases
must be distinquishable from a text value of (say) NULL that a moniroed
application might return.

--
Karl