LDAP Configs..

Sean O'Malley picasso at madflower.com
Sat Jul 17 00:01:23 CEST 2004

Has anyone looked at pursuing the use of LDAP for the configuration files?
Maybe it is just me but when I see the configs. The structure of them
looks like they would fit nicely in an LDAP scheme. With the master
configs in one branch, the hosts/group stuff in another branch..
(I havent quite thought out the best design yet..)

I think it might make development for the backend GUI's faster. With
the addition of a "server" directive, it could be used acrossed multiple
Nagios servers. With LDAP caching mechanism is pretty tuned already so
you can skip worrying about caching algorithms and use realtime data.
you could actually also use it for authentication to the site.

I think it would be helpful for large sites. I am not sure it would be
easier for smaller sites. But I think the bonus would be in the faster
development and the existance of tools to manage ldap trees already.

Just a thought.

Sean