Multi platform crypto options for Nag et al Was: Submiting patch for nrpe

Wed Jan 21 21:55:50 CET 2004

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letters about this matter and note
that

. SSL/TLS is a multi-platform facility that provides encryption and
strong authentication. Support for a large range of ciphers (inc AES and
Blowfish) as well as certificates is built in (what is a cert ? simply a
token of identity, that is difficult to forge).

. SSL/TLS is provided IIRC by the built in MS crypto provider or use the
industrial strength multi-platform OpenSSL (https://www.OpenSSL.ORG)

. SSL/TLS can be used in some applications _transparently_. Adding TLS
support to a Perl LWP client is as simple as installing one Perl module
and using https:// URLs instead of http://

If I was doing crypto, although I am no coder, this is the approach I
would take.

TLS/SSL simply gives you sockets that encrypt and decrypt your data
after setting up 'session'.

Session negotiation allows the selection of ciphers and the enforcement
of client and server identification.

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.