Submiting patch for nrpe

Stephen Strudwick sas at pipex.net
Wed Jan 21 19:01:21 CET 2004

> What you don't want to do is encrypt your datastream, and then send it through
> a TLS connection.  You're just wasting cycles in that case.  TLS solves a lot
> of security problems that most people don't think about; that's why it's a
> complex protocol.  :)

I dont see cpu cycles really being a problem, certainly not server
side, possibly it could add up a bit client side where nagios is
installed. But its just a handshake and exchange of 1k packets every 5
mins per server.

I wouldnt have thought it was wasted cpu cycles either, you would be
adding an extra layer of security, but more importantly providing some
kind of authentication lacking atm because of no certificates.

Anyway, im no expert on SSL/TLS, but im trying when I have spare moments
to read as much as possible, if im wrong, try to point me in the right
direction as to why.

> I would _love_ it if nrpe and nsca used TLS and provided support for
> certificate checking; it would simplify managing clusters of machines by quite
> a bit, as I would have one less auth mechanism to worry about.

For me the problem atm is the lack of certificates. I would have preferred
this approach, but I dont know enough about SSL/TLS and I didnt have the
time to learn/experiment and implement.

I went with blowfish because I knew I could get something
secure, reliable and already fully tested working in a few days.

-
Stephen Strudwick
Advanced Development Engineer
Development Group, Product Development