Submiting patch for nrpe

Mark Ferlatte ferlatte at cryptio.net
Wed Jan 21 18:27:19 CET 2004

Ethan Galstad said on Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 11:45:26PM -0600:
> Hi Stephen -
>
> The patch applied cleanly, but I might hold off on comitting it to
> CVS.  The reason for this is I think the encryption should probably
> be used on top of SSL, rather than instead of it.  I think one of the
> big reasons for using SSL/TLS connections is the fact that its harder
> to do "replay" attacks and fake check results.  If we go with crypto
> on top of the TLS connection, I would probably look at brining back
> optional support for the mcrypt() library, which handles a number of
> crypto algorithms (including Blowfish).  Anyone have comments on this
> approach?  I'm not an SSL/TLS/crypto expert by any means, so I might
> be totally off-base. :-)

Sorry, I haven't been tracking nrpe/nsca development recently, but:

If you have SSL/TLS, you should use that for encryption also; it's part of the
protocol.

What you don't want to do is encrypt your datastream, and then send it through
a TLS connection.  You're just wasting cycles in that case.  TLS solves a lot
of security problems that most people don't think about; that's why it's a
complex protocol.  :)

I would _love_ it if nrpe and nsca used TLS and provided support for
certificate checking; it would simplify managing clusters of machines by quite
a bit, as I would have one less auth mechanism to worry about.