Suggestions for statusmap.cgi

Horvath Tamas zsitfa at axelero.hu
Sat Aug 28 20:47:42 CEST 2004

Hi list!

It would be very nice, if we can configure the line type and width
between objects at statusmap. It can be done for example in the
hostextinfo file via a 'connectiontype' and 'connectionbandwidth'
directives.

The reason: I draw a lot of network designs (with Visio) and I think it
is very useful, if I use different line types to represent different
communication technology, and different line width to represent
different bandwidth.

For example: normal line in 3 point width means 10BASE-T twisted pair
connection. 5 point normal line means 100BASE-TX tiwsted pair
connection, 5 point dashed line means 100BASE-FX (optical) connection.

I think it would make easier to understand and represent the actual
network topology. It would be nice if a legend can be appear at the
statusmap. To help create this legend I suggest a
'connectiondescription' directive.

As I think these directives have to be optional. If someone doesn't use
these the statusmap should be look like now.
Let's assume the following parent-child relationship: HostA-HostB-HostC.
If someone wants to specify the connection type and bandwidth between
HostB and HostC, he/she should use these directives at HostC's extended
info definition.

Sorry but I'm not a programmer, just a satisfied Nagios user and fun, so
I couldn't be able to provide a patch.:(

Thanks, Tamas.