running checks on a specific network interface

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Aug 27 18:26:02 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 07:26 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> ping is installed suid root on most (all?) linux systems, since it also
> requires root access to open raw sockets and send ICMP packages. That
> doesn't really matter, however, since the interface's routing table also
> needs to match the destination IP, and what good would it do to have two
> different interfaces in the same subnet that aren't bonded?

Yes, but setting the interface also affects the source IP address, which
is where I've used it--for example, testing IPSEC tunnels.  I cannot say
why the original posted wanted the feature; the answer from several of
you was "that's not theorectically possible to do in the program itself;
use routing tables" and my response was that it is in fact possible.
Practical or easy, I do not know.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc