running checks on a specific network interface

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Fri Aug 27 07:26:21 CEST 2004

Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-08-26 at 10:24 -0500, Marc Powell wrote:
>

>>This is standard routing, controlled by your OS. All checks will go out
>>the interface specified as your default route unless you have more
>>specific routes set up. All programs have very little control over how
>>their outbound traffic is routed. If they did, they would have to be
>>aware of the state of the network to avoid routing deficiencies...
>

> Not entirely true.  ping(1) has an option to specify the source
> interface.  It would not surprise me if it required root privs to do so.

ping is installed suid root on most (all?) linux systems, since it also
requires root access to open raw sockets and send ICMP packages. That
doesn't really matter, however, since the interface's routing table also
needs to match the destination IP, and what good would it do to have two
different interfaces in the same subnet that aren't bonded?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer