running checks on a specific network interface

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Aug 28 10:12:10 CEST 2004

Wil Cooley wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 07:26 +0200, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>>ping is installed suid root on most (all?) linux systems, since it also
>>requires root access to open raw sockets and send ICMP packages. That
>>doesn't really matter, however, since the interface's routing table also
>>needs to match the destination IP, and what good would it do to have two
>>different interfaces in the same subnet that aren't bonded?
>

> Yes, but setting the interface also affects the source IP address, which
> is where I've used it--for example, testing IPSEC tunnels.  I cannot say
> why the original posted wanted the feature; the answer from several of
> you was "that's not theorectically possible to do in the program itself;
> use routing tables" and my response was that it is in fact possible.
> Practical or easy, I do not know.

This is news to me, unless you're talking about measuring on the
interfaces themselves (throughput, status and so on) and not actually
picking an interface to send traffic from and receive responses to while
the kernel has a different opinion on what the best route would be. Can
you give us a couple of examples, maybe?

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se
Lead Developer