Nagios plugin real execution date (for performance data)

Yves Mettier ymettier at libertysurf.fr
Tue Aug 24 11:11:18 CEST 2004

Hi !

This is rather for perfparse-devel, but the question may concern nagios-devel so I post
there too.

When a plugin ends, we have the execution date in $TIMET$ macro of the plugin. That date
is usually the date when the plugin got the data.

However, there are cases when the data is somewhere (in a log file for example) with a
timestamp, and the plugin gets the data with the timestamp. In such a case, I don't need
the date from $TIMET$, but the timestamp that the plugin scanned.

For perfparse, there is an easy way to do it: the plugin can return the timestamp as
performance data, for example:
plugin output | TIMET=1093338402 key1=value1;warn1;crit1
key2=value2UOM;warn2;crit2;min2;max2 ...

With such a line, perfparse would understand that it has to take the value from the
plugin TIMET performance data and not from the nagios $TIMET$ macro. TIMET would become
a keyword for perfparse. This can also become a specification for performance data in
nagios.

Guys at perfparse project, do you think that I can implement this ?
Guys at nagios project, is this the way to do it, or is there a better way ?

Yves (coder on perfparse)

--
- Homepage    - http://ymettier.free.fr - http://www.logicacmg.com -
- GPG key     - http://ymettier.free.fr/gpg.txt                    -