Reproducable segfault

Chris de Vidal Chris at deVidal.tv
Mon Aug 23 16:33:14 CEST 2004

Wonderful program!!  Thanks for *all* your hard work.  I especially
appreciate the templates in 1.2; what a time-saver those are!

Debian Woody, package from backports.org
Kernel 2.6.7
Nagios 1.2

Problem: putting host_name into a service template causes a segfault.

Steps to reproduce: Define a service template.  You don't need to create a
service that actually uses the template.

In the template, add host_name and any host or * (I tried both) and nagios
segfaults (forground, -v, or daemon).

Workaround: Put host_name in the actual service that uses a template, not
in the template.

Here is the generic template that came with my installation.  The *only*
thing I've added is host_name.  I'd trimmed it down so it was the *only*
defined service:

define service{
        ; The 'name' of this service template, referenced in other service
definitions
        name				generic-service
        active_checks_enabled		0	; Active service checks are disabled
        passive_checks_enabled		0	; Passive service checks are
enabled/disabled
        parallelize_check		1	; Active service checks should be parallelized
                                                ; (disabling this can lead
to major performance
problems)
        obsess_over_service		1	; We should obsess over this service (if
necessary)
        check_freshness			0	; Default is to NOT check service 'freshness'
        notifications_enabled		0	; Service notifications are disabled
        event_handler_enabled		0	; Service event handler is disabled
        flap_detection_enabled		0	; Flap detection is disabled
        process_perf_data		1	; Process performance data
        retain_status_information	1	; Retain status information across
program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information	1	; Retain non-status information
across program restarts

        register			0	; DONT REGISTER THIS DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL
SERVICE, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        host_name               *
	}

God bless,
CD

"...for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are
justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ
Jesus, whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received
by faith." Romans 3:23-25