Nagios 2 quitting

Ian Holsman kryton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 05:55:02 CEST 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 23:33:24 -0400, Karl DeBisschop <karl at debisschop.net> wrote:
> Ethan Galstad wrote:

> Yes I did submit the patch, years ago, for the reasons described. I
> suppose that it would not be a terrible crime to allow cores to be
> created as a option, but I think the basic logic holds - on a daemon in
> production use, core can cause you real problems - by DOS if they take
> up too much space, or too much time to write, or by providing a raodmap
> to the clever hacker.

that is what the ulimit command is for.
a program shouldn't really touch it.
by default the core ulimit is set to zero on OS distributions.

as for a roadmap.. most would just run the program via gdb, and by
default the core dump is generated with very restrictive ownership to
stop people reading them.

don't get me started on the 'usefullness' of the strip command ;-0