Nagios 2 quitting

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Aug 11 05:33:24 CEST 2004

Ethan Galstad wrote:

> On 11 Aug 2004 at 6:43, Ian Holsman wrote:
>
>>do a search for RLIMIT_CORE in utils.c and delete the setrlimit call.
>>then in the shell before you call nagios do ulimit -c unlimited
>>
>>this should let nagios actually dump core and then you can see what is
>>causing it.
>>
>>--Ian
>>
>>hey Ethan.. what is the logic behind disabling cores in the code like
>>this instead of using ulimit?
>>

> [snip]
>
> I think Karl actually submitted the initial patch to do this.  I
> believe the reasoning behind it is that daemons are not supposed to
> dump core when they bail.

Yes I did submit the patch, years ago, for the reasons described. I
suppose that it would not be a terrible crime to allow cores to be
created as a option, but I think the basic logic holds - on a daemon in
production use, core can cause you real problems - by DOS if they take
up too much space, or too much time to write, or by providing a raodmap
to the clever hacker.

--
Karl