Support of Environmental systems to monitor, etc...

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Fri May 9 18:47:58 CEST 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003, michel denis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We would be interested in using NAGIOS in a mixed environment:
> a) IT networks and their telecoms
> b) environmental systems, such as monitoring:
>   - doors open/close, and similar contacts on/off
>   - fire/temperature (I saw there's one supported..)
>   - security alarms
>   - water levels
>   - infrared detections of people passing by,...

Cool - so is this for all of sun.com?

> Questions:
> 1. Can environmental systems, and their boards (like ComputerBoards and
> BMC families), be easily supported ? How easy to write a plugin or addon
> to support such systems ?

It depends on the interface provided by the system.  The plugin part is
easy. There is currently a plugin that supports lmsensors, and another
that talks to the TepmTrax temp. monitors over a serial port. Cisco/Junper
routers chassis over snmp...

plugin developer guiidelines - nagiosplug.sourceforge.net

> 2. Can "reactions" be easily implemented like sending an alarm message
> to a pager, sending commands to a door control equipment, starting a
> siren, blocking a window,... ?

Two capabilities - event-handlers to deal with state-changes (commands to
door, siren, window, etc.)  and notifications that are sent to the
contacts listed for the service (email/pager/sms/smb - whatever you want
to define)

> 3. How easy is it to couple NAGIOS with an "expert system" to make
> "intelligent" and complex alarms correlations and automation of
> reactions ?

Nagios doesn't have any hooks to plug in external engines at this time. V2
in development now does support a event-broker that will receive a feed of
all events.  It should be relatively simple then to write an intermediary
to pass the event onto the expert system - which in turn can send "pasive
events" to Nagios.

> 4. How customisable/extensible is NAGIOS regarding the user interface
> and the functionality ?

The current user interface is a mixture of C and HTML and not the very
extensible.  There are a couple of efforts to create php interfaces.  v3
is slated for a complete php UI.

-sg