Nagios XML Engine

dan at julieanddan.com dan at julieanddan.com
Tue Jun 17 20:19:13 CEST 2003

OK, I know there were a lot of problems with the last "dtd" sent out
(comments and all).

While the Nagios configuration files would do much better with a schema
based design, a simple dtd is sufficient for the status file for the
moment. I'll try and pump out a schema design for the statuslog file soon.
 I am working on an entire XML tier for interfacing with Nagios 1.x. I
will release components as they become useful.

The first component I have is a small Perl app that will create an XML
document from the Nagios 1.0 status file according to the dtd included in
this message. This app can be used either from the command-line (for
pipeline processing) or as a CGI. Just change the path to your status file
in the first line of code (and make sure you have setup permissions
properly) and you should be good to go.

This app can be used to integrate Nagios status information into any
application that understands XML. This weekend I intend to setup a
Sourceforge project for these components. The posted version will also
contain the ability to transform the XML via XSLT stylesheets before
outputting the data. I hope to have completed a sample Web UI for
reporting Nagios Status using these techniques.

If anyone has any problems with this code, please let me know. Also if
anyone tries it on Nagios 1.1 I would appreciate knowing how it works.

Thanks,

__________________
Daniel Koffler
dan at julieanddan.com
Tel: 514.497.1411
Fax: 206.600.4642
GPG Key ID: 0xA2C6DC83 Fingerprint: 1FD7 3FDF 8A0D 961F 26A2 3EDA AE8F
A874 A2C6 DC83

John Arley Burns <johnarleyburns at yahoo.com>
17/06/2003 11:22 AM

dan at julieanddan.com, nagios-devel at lists.sourceforge.net
cc

Subject
Re: [Nagios-devel] status log dtd again

Good start, but it would have to be substantially expanded to include
everything currently in the Nagios config files.

You might want to switch to XSchema since it's much clearer and allows
for tighter definitions.

PS Your DTD can't contain comments <!-- * --> within the element
definition.

--- dan at julieanddan.com wrote:

Sorry about the html garbage in my lastpost, let's try that again

Daniel Koffler
dan at julieanddan.com
Tel: 514.497.1411
Fax: 206.600.4642
GPG Key ID: 0xA2C6DC83 Fingerprint: 1FD7 3FDF 8A0D 961F 26A2 3EDA
AE8FA874 A2C6 DC83

name=nagios_status_log_dtd.xml