new service directive: hard_check_interval

David Quattlebaum David.Quattlebaum at sas.com
Thu Jun 12 15:00:54 CEST 2003

I want to implement a new service definition directive:

   hard_check_interval #

If present, this specifies the number of "time units" to wait before scheduling the next check for the service when the service is in the HARD_STATE. If this directive is not given, normal_check_interval will be used for its setting.

When a service is in the HARD state, I want it to be checked more often.

Has anyone done this? Recommended this?

I've started making changes to the source code (nagios-1.1) to see if I can get this to work. It's to the point where the config directive is recognized in the config files. When I choose "View Config" from the left pane of the nagios web page and choose the "Services" object type, it shows the "hard check time" column filled in correctly.

I just can't figure out where to change the code to make it work. The files I've changed so far are:

base/nagios.c       - at line 1542, I check for HARD_STATE and used hard_interval
                      instead of normal_check_interval. I thought this would make it
                      work, but was wrong.

cgi/config.c        - show hard_check_interval on web page

common/objects.c    - added hard_interval to add_service(). use normal_interval if
                      hard_interval < 0

common/objects.h    - added hard_interval to add_service() proto.

xdata/xodtemplate.h - added hard_check_interval (and have_hard_check_interval) to
                      xodtemplate_service

xdata/xodtemplate.c - process hard_check_interval

Thanks for any help.

--
David Quattlebaum <sasdrq at sas.com>                              <IXOYE><

"Weebles wobble but they don't fall down."