R: check_udp error message

frank ratty at they.org
Thu Sep 5 20:23:52 CEST 2013

You need to send a message that the listening daemon will understand. The
check_snmp plugin speaks the SNMP language so it knows how to construct a
packet that snmpd will understand. I imagine an OID is a requirement for
check_snmp, as well as community string or security credentials, those are
all part of the "send". If you want to use check_udp for this, then you
have to construct that packet yourself.

On the flip-side, you should know the expected response to a known query.
If you make an SNMP request for .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.4.0 you should expect a
string from the "syscontact" line from your snmpd.conf in response.

Just like you would use check_http rather than check_tcp for an Apache
service, it's probably best to use a custom program like check_dns rather
than check_udp to check a DNS service. In the case of SNMP, I prefer to
use or write scripts that are specific to what I'm polling rather than
using a generic request/response program. For instance, a program like
check_snmp_load.pl could be alot more robust than running "check_snmp -o
.1.3.6.1.4.1.2021.10.1.3.1" alone.

-f