High Availabilty with Nagios

William Leibzon william at leibzon.org
Thu May 9 11:51:57 CEST 2013

On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Steve Shipway <s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
> Does anyone have an HA setup for Nagios that works?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a NEB module that will link two Nagios setups, and
> replicate over all status changes, config changes, downtime, comments, etc
> etc and then set the 'standby' Nagios to be checks/notifications disabled
> when in standby mode, and enabled when in active mode.  Then put the two
> behind a failover load balancer (F5, Foundry or apache reverse proxy).

I've thought several times of doing it but never actually get started
although I have it all planned out kinda like you.

In the mean time my HA setup which I've done for several customers
involves config synced using git or svn (script run by cron that
checks if its something new and then restart nagios if config passes
tests). Both servers doing checks but config is such that for one
server all notifications are disabled except for cross-checking of the
other nagios This is achieved by having common template from which all
services are derived and this template is in a file specific to each
server and so one has notifications disabled and the other enabled.
This is not a full HA in a way that if one server dies you have to
execute a script that would enable the other servers for notifications
(this can be done automatically too but I prefer people to do it).