Revamp of lib/worker.c

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sun Mar 17 00:32:37 CET 2013

I know it's fairly late in the dev cycle, but the current status of
lib/worker.c simply isn't maintainable enough. Among the several
problems with it are:
  * spawn_worker() makes assumptions on how the worker manager wants to
store the jobs it has sent to the worker.
  * More types than necessary are made public, which makes patching and
minor feature addition close to impossible.
  * There is no common prefix used for functions and types, making it
hard to remember which functions are public and which are private.
  * It's hard to test since it ties in pretty hard with the Nagios code.

I'll be doing quite an extensive revamp over the next few days in order
to address these issues. This means base/workers.c will also sustain
heavy surgery. If you're writing or have written modules or
special-purpose workers that rely on any of the code about to be
chainsaw-operated on, please let me know asap, and I'll do what I can to
make sure your stuff keeps working. Be quick though, cause this needs to
be done sharpish.

Thanks, and sorry for crossposting.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.