Flapping SMTP timeout, started after reboot

Steve Jenkins stevejenkins at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 05:53:18 CEST 2013

I did a kernel update on my Nagios box, and after the reboot it keeps
reporting an SMTP timeout on one of our mail servers, then saying it's
fine, then reporting a problem again.

The nagios log shows:

SERVICE ALERT: Titanium;SMTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;CRITICAL - Socket timeout
after 10 seconds
SERVICE ALERT: Titanium;SMTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;2;CRITICAL - Socket timeout
after 10 seconds
SERVICE ALERT: Titanium;SMTP;CRITICAL;HARD;3;CRITICAL - Socket timeout
after 10 seconds

and then I get an alert. If I go into the web interface and force a check,
it will eventually come back OK.

Also, any time I run "check_smtp -H hostname" from the command line, it
works fine:

# /nagios/libexec/check_smtp -H titanium
SMTP OK - 0.060 sec. response time|time=0.060454s;;;0.000000

The machine it's checking isn't busy, the response time is always fast like
above, and I'm not sure where to start looking for the issue. Anyone got
any ideas?

Thanks,

SteveJ