Checking for a string with spaces with check_http in 3.5 / 4.0

Niall O Broin niall at makalumedia.com
Tue Jul 23 20:42:37 CEST 2013

I am currently running 3.2.1 (version packaged with Debian squeeze) quite happily but I want to migrate to a new server so I decided I'd move to 4.0 as well. I compiled 4.0.0-beta1 and after a bit of a slog finally have it mostly working. I'm currently trying to get check_http to check for strings with embedded spaces e.g. check that a page includes the string   My Wonderful Web Site  but for the life of me I can NOT get it to work. On 3.2.1 I have this command definition

define command{
    command_name    check_http_string
    command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http -H $ARG1$ -w $ARG2$ -c $ARG3$ -s "$ARG4$"
}

and service definitions which include check_command lines like this:

check_command check_http_string!my.wonderfulwebsite.com!60!90!"\"My Wonderful Web Site\""

and that works as expected, but the exact same thing does not work in 4.0.0

I have tried single quotes, and double quotes, in both the command definitions and the service definitions. Seeing the error messages in the services seemed to indicate that the quotes were getting included in the string, hence not matching, I changed to escaping the spaces in the service definitions and this worked, somewhat. I'm testing 4 services with check_http_string of which 3 are identical frontends to the same website and yet of those 4 services, all but one fails, and the one is one of the three identical servers.

As this struck me as more than a little bizarre, I decided to give the latest stable Nagios, 3.5.0, a try. With that I was able to use the same config files as with 4.0.0 and now, all 4 services pass.

Apart from "what do you expect from beta software" can anybody make any suggestions?

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin