How to send text notification

Leveau Stanislas stanislas.leveau at ac-caen.fr
Thu Jul 11 12:42:31 CEST 2013

Hello

you can use gnookii : http://gnokii.org/

For example you install a SIEMENS MC35i on your server nagios

Manufacturer : SIEMENS
Model : MC35i

you need this information :

SMS Gateway telephone number : 06 ** ** ** **

Code PIN : 0000

Your Telephone number : 06 ** ** ** **

Gnokii installation an configuration :

Software installation (On redhat) :

# yum –enablerepo=* install gnokki

Add code PIN

# gnokii --entersecuritycode PIN
GNOKII Version 0.6.19
Enter your code: 0000
Code ok.

 test it's ok:

# gnokii --getsecuritycodestatus
GNOKII Version 0.6.19
Security code status: nothing to enter.

gnokii configuration :

# cat /etc/gnokiirc
[global]
port = /dev/ttyS0
model = AT
initlength = default
connection = serial
use_locking = yes
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10 [gnokiid]
bindir = /usr/local/sbin/ [connect_script]
TELEPHONE = 12345678
[disconnect_script] [logging]
debug = off
rlpdebug = off
xdebug = off

Hardware informations :

# gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.19
IMEI : 35358469542896
Manufacturer : SIEMENS
Model : MC35i
Product name : MC35i
Revision : REVISION 02.00

If you want to modif connexion parameters :

# minicom -s Pour sortir
Ctrl-A puis Z puis Q

Add port information :

# stty -F /dev/ttyS0
speed 19200 baud; line = 0;
min = 1; time = 0;
-brkint -icrnl -imaxbel
-opost -onlcr
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echoctl -echoke

Test send a sms :

# echo "hello" | /usr/bin/gnokii --sendsms 06********
GNOKII Version 0.6.19
Send succeeded!

Nagios configuration :

In Nagios you add a notification commands as :

define command{
 command_name notify-by-sms
 command_line /usr/bin/printf "%b" "Service: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\nInfo: $SERVICEOUTPUT$\nDate: $SHORTDATETIME$" | sudo /etc/nagios/envoiesms $CONTACTPAGER$
}

In /etc/nagios/envoiesms file :

/usr/bin/gnokii --sendsms $1

And in your contact definition :

define contact{
 contact_name administrateur
 alias administrateur
 contactgroups group-sms
 host_notification_period 24x7
 service_notification_period 24x7
 host_notification_options d,u,r
 service_notification_options w,u,c,r
 host_notification_commands notify-by-sms
 service_notification_commands notify-by-sms
 email administrateur at ac-caen.fr
 pager 06********
}

Regards