Nagios Update Check Is Not Running

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jan 16 08:43:17 CET 2013

On 01/15/2013 10:42 PM, Jon Adcock wrote:

>    I noticed that the main.php page update_available blue flag never appears for me when a new version of Nagios is available.  I do have check_for_updates=1, but I see the following at the top of the Nagios status.dat file:
> info {
>      created=1358284500
>      version=3.4.1
>      last_update_check=1340002591
>      update_available=1
>      last_version=3.3.1
>      new_version=3.4.1
>      }
>
>    What that tells me is that the Nagios function (that checks to see if there is an update available) hasn't run since 6/18.2012 6:56:31 GMT (1340002591).  I am seeing similar indications on my other Nagios servers.

Yes. This is my fault. I'm one of the core maintainers, but I also take care
of maintaining the nagios package for op5. Pretty much the only thing we
change in our version is to disable update checks with a hardcoded return
statement in the function that issues the actual check, since our customers
get their updates from us in the form of RPM packages. Once upon a time a
patch spilled over to the Nagios repository that had that change, so the
update check was broken sometime between 3.3.1 and 3.4.4.

I believe it's fixed in 3.4.4 though, with kudos to Eric Stanley for fixing
the problem.

> 1)  Is there a way to force Nagios to CHECK NOW?

Not that I know of, and it wouldn't work with the hardcoded "avoid update
checks at all cost" patch in place anyway.

> 2)  Does the update_check log it's results somewhere?

Only in the status_file.

> 3)  Do you have any recommendations on how I should approach this problem?

Upgrade to the latest version manually and then the update checks should
start working again.

I'm really sorry for the inconvenience.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.