Nagios Update Check Is Not Running

Jon Adcock AdcockJ at leoncountyfl.gov
Tue Jan 15 22:42:27 CET 2013

  I noticed that the main.php page update_available blue flag never appears for me when a new version of Nagios is available.  I do have check_for_updates=1, but I see the following at the top of the Nagios status.dat file:
info {
    created=1358284500
    version=3.4.1
    last_update_check=1340002591
    update_available=1
    last_version=3.3.1
    new_version=3.4.1
    }

  What that tells me is that the Nagios function (that checks to see if there is an update available) hasn't run since 6/18.2012 6:56:31 GMT (1340002591).  I am seeing similar indications on my other Nagios servers.
1)  Is there a way to force Nagios to CHECK NOW?
2)  Does the update_check log it's results somewhere?
3)  Do you have any recommendations on how I should approach this problem?

  I am running Nagios v3.4.1 on one server and v3.4.3 on the other two.  They are running on SLES 10 SP3 64-bit.

Jon Adcock
Network Systems Administrator
Leon County MIS
301 S. Monroe St.
Tallahassee, FL  32301
Office:  (850) 606-5518
http://www.leoncountyfl.gov
"People Focused.  Performance Driven."

Thank you for your e-mail.  Please note that under Florida's Public Records
laws, most written communications to or from county staff or officials
regarding county business are public records available to the public and
media upon request.  Your e-mail communications may therefore be
subject to public disclosure.