service escalations

Assaf Flatto nagios at flatto.net
Mon Jan 14 16:04:07 CET 2013

On 14/01/13 14:41, Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk wrote:

> Hi - can someone confirm if the following scenario regards service
> escalations is correct?
>
> I have a service check that simply performs a TCP check, if it fails
> it will email the contact with a defined notification_interval of 5mins.
>
> I also have a serviceescalation defined as follows:
>
> define serviceescalation{
>         hostgroup_name          desktopsnahisservers
>         service_description     DESKTOP SNA SERVICE TCP 4097
>         first_notification      3
>         last_notification       0
>         notification_interval   5
>         contacts                me_at_home
>         }
>
> If the TCP check continues to fail the service escalation contact
> starts to get alerts but the actual contact for the defined service
> doesn't.
>
> Is this behaviour to be expected?
>
> As a solution I've simply added the defined service contact to also be
> a contact under the serviceescalation section as well.
>
> I'm running Nagios 3.4.3.
>
> Thanks - Julian.
>
> Julian Grunnell | Unix Analyst, Infrastructure | TD Direct Investing
> T: +44 (0) 113 346 2824 | M: +44 (0) 7889 352527

Escalations are added and expand the capability of notifications , when
the escalation logics is activated the normal notification logic is
"suspended" and the escalation is the way nagios is processing the alerts.

So if after the 3rd alert only the escalation alert is received - then
the logic is working as it should .

Assaf