service escalations

Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk
Mon Jan 14 15:41:18 CET 2013

Hi - can someone confirm if the following scenario regards service
escalations is correct?

I have a service check that simply performs a TCP check, if it fails it
will email the contact with a defined notification_interval of 5mins.

I also have a serviceescalation defined as follows:

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          desktopsnahisservers
        service_description     DESKTOP SNA SERVICE TCP 4097
        first_notification      3
        last_notification       0
        notification_interval   5
        contacts                me_at_home
        }

If the TCP check continues to fail the service escalation contact starts
to get alerts but the actual contact for the defined service doesn't.

Is this behaviour to be expected?

As a solution I've simply added the defined service contact to also be a
contact under the serviceescalation section as well.

I'm running Nagios 3.4.3.

Thanks - Julian.

Julian Grunnell | Unix Analyst, Infrastructure | TD Direct Investing
T: +44 (0) 113 346 2824 | M: +44 (0) 7889 352527

Consider the environment: Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality:  This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email and highlight the error.

Viruses:  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure that they are actually virus-free.

Brokerage services provided by TD Direct Investing (Europe) Limited (a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank).  Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA registered number 141282), member of the London Stock Exchange and the PLUS market. Incorporated in England and Wales under registration number 2101863.  Registered office: Exchange Court, Duncombe Street, Leeds LS1 4AX. Banking services provided by TD Bank N.V. authorised and regulated by De Nederlandsche Bank and the Financial Services Authority for UK Business (FSA registered number 216791).  Incorporated in the Netherlands and registered as a branch in England and Wales under branch registration number BR006780.