Check_Openmanage not ignoring non-certified drives

Bob The Junkie bob_the_junkie at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 10 20:44:10 CET 2013

Hi there,

I'm using Nagios and Check_Openmange to keep an eye on some Dell R710 servers we've recently acquired, and I'm having problems trying to stop warnings with non-dell certified drives appearing in the alert log.

I've separated out the different components on the servers to check into their own nagios checks - so my config files appear as such:

In nagios:

SERVICES.CFG

<host>

Check_command check_dell_components!memory

<host>

Check_command check_dell_components!alertlog

COMMANDS.CFG

Command_name Check_dell_components

Command_line check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -p 5666 -t 30 -c Check_OpenManage -a " -only $ARG1$"

On each Server in nsclient.ini:

Check_OpenManage = scripts\\check_openmanage.exe $ARG1$ --perfdata

The problem I'm having is that in one of my checks that checks the health of the alert log, I'm getting a consistent warning message (Alert log content: 0 critical, 6 non-critical, 36 ok ). I've traced this down to the 6 non-dell certified drives in the server, and I can indeed see within OMSA that the only 6 warnings all state "Controller event log: PD 04(e0x20/s4) is not a certified drive: Controller 0 (PERC 6/i Integrated)".

So far, so good. Reading through the documentation I can see the Check_Openmanage includes a blacklisting option specifically for this event "pdisk_cert - Suppress warning message about non-certified physical disk" but no matter what I try, I can't seem to get Check_Openmanage to ignore these problems. An example of the command I'm running on the command line is:

check_openmanage.exe -s -a -b pdisk_cert=all

Which returns:

WARNING: Alert log content: 0 critical, 6 non-critical, 36 ok

Now I'm assuming the problem here is being caused by the Alert Log generating the errors, and not the physical disk directly causing the errors, which is why blacklisting the certificate problem on the physical disk isn't doing me any good.

Which leads me onto my question - is there anything I can do to ignore these errors (and thus stop Nagios from complaining) apart from excluding the alert log when I do my checks?

Many thanks.