Printing multi-line output from status.cgi

Tech Support support at voipbusiness.us
Fri Oct 26 21:14:37 CEST 2012

All;

    I've been looking for a way to print multi-line output from the Nagios
web interface. What I mean by that is that the output from status.cgi only
displays a single line of output, even though extinfo.cgi will display all
of the information. What I did to solve this was to edit the Nagios source
code file cgi/status.c and make a single change in two places (I'm running
Nagios V. 3.4.1).

Change line 1893 from this:

        printf("%s ", (temp_status->plugin_output == NULL) ? "" :
html_encode(temp_status->plugin_output, TRUE));

to this:

        if( temp_status->long_plugin_output != NULL )

            printf( "<br>%s", html_encode( temp_status->long_plugin_output,
TRUE ) );

        else

            printf( "%s ", html_encode( temp_status->plugin_output,
TRUE ) );

and then do the same thing on line 2332. Type 'make' at the prompt, and it
should compile just the binary status.cgi. Of course, it's simple enough to
undo. Just save the original status.cgi and then copy it back if you want.
On my system, I copied it to /usr/local/Nagios/sbin. That solved the problem
for me, so I thought I would share my results with the mailing list.

Regards;

John.