Can't get service failure(warning) to send notification

James Pifer jamespifer at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 17 21:47:04 CEST 2012

On 10/17/2012 3:34 PM, James Pifer wrote:
> On 10/15/2012 10:07 PM, booleanenator at gmail.com wrote:
>> When I have issues like that, I turn up debugging in nagios.cfg then force the service to go critical with passive commands from the CGI. Remember that the debug options are additive, so only include what you need to figure out what is going on. I would say just from this conversation that it sounds like your either you timeperiods are incorrect/conflicting exclusions etc. or the notification command cannot be parsed correctly. Remember both the service and contact timeperiods have to overlap for a notification to be sent. Also, it only notifies when going into a hard state. If you have retries, it may require you to submit the critical passive state mutiple times. I usually disable active checks when I do this so a scheduled active check doesn't put the service into an okay state in the middle of forcing a hard critical.
>>
>> It would help to debug if you include the service definitions (including all templates inherited and explicitly included in the "use" line), contact definition, the relevant notification and check command definitions, and timeperiods.
>> Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

I was re-reading my last message and saw the contact configuration for
service notifications was set to (n)one. I change that to Critical and
Warning and applied changes. Yahoo, I got a notification now from the
service, but not quite what I expected.

The service has a "Connection refused" message yet my notification is:

Type:PROBLEM
Host: login2.mycompany.com
State: UP
Address: login2.mycompany.com
Info: PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 1.25 ms
Date/Time: 17-10-2012

Thanks,
James