host object declarations

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Oct 2 15:28:35 CEST 2012

On 10/02/2012 02:52 PM, Marki wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to further discuss
> http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=177
> which is about host object declarations.
>
> You suggest using host_name as something that resolves. However, we don't have a
> (DNS) hostname for each device.

I'm suggesting what now? The only thing I'm saying in that bugreport is
that Nagios does not and will not complain when the "address" fields of
hosts are unique.

> Also, directive description (Nagios documentation) says: "This directive is used
> to define a short name used to identify the host."
> The description for the "address" directive actually needs something useful,
> again, see http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#host
>
> You say one should switch to using them differently, i.e.
> host_name = ip address or DNS hostname
> alias = description
> because Nagios4 will do it that way (and Icinga already does).

Nagios 4 won't do that. The one and only change in Nagios 4 is that "address"
will be set to the "host_name" variable if no "address" field is set. That
means people who want to use dns names for their hosts don't have to write
that info again in the address field.

> I guess I will then try to update my config that way:
> - use a DNS name (if one exists) in the "host_name" field, otherwise use the IP
> as host_name if there is no reverse lookup for it,
> - in that case I use a symbolic name in the "display_name" field,
> - and optionally a description in the "alias" field.
> Furthermore for devices that have no IP but should show as different hosts,
> define a "virtual" hostname with the IP address of the device's management
> station (that may be duplicate).

You can't have two hosts with the same host_name. You really don't need to
change anything at all to make your configuration work the same way it
always has.

> Anyway I'd really like to know what everyone thinks about this, and how you do
> it in a sensible way.

host_name is the short symbolic name that has to be unique but can be anything
you want.
address is the field that (usually) has to point to an ip address or that's
resolvable as a dns hostname.
display_name and alias are equally useless and are only meant to provide some
sort of help when receiving notifications or when viewing the UI.

You've been overthinking it and seriously misunderstood something. The way
you think Nagios 4 will be working isn't correct.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.