host object declarations

Marki jm+nagios-users at roth.lu
Tue Oct 2 14:52:07 CEST 2012

Hi there,

I'd like to further discuss
http://tracker.nagios.org/view.php?id=177
which is about host object declarations.

You suggest using host_name as something that resolves. However, we don't have a
(DNS) hostname for each device.
Also, directive description (Nagios documentation) says: "This directive is used
to define a short name used to identify the host."
The description for the "address" directive actually needs something useful,
again, see http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#host

You say one should switch to using them differently, i.e.
host_name = ip address or DNS hostname
alias = description
because Nagios4 will do it that way (and Icinga already does).

I guess I will then try to update my config that way:
- use a DNS name (if one exists) in the "host_name" field, otherwise use the IP
as host_name if there is no reverse lookup for it,
- in that case I use a symbolic name in the "display_name" field,
- and optionally a description in the "alias" field.
Furthermore for devices that have no IP but should show as different hosts,
define a "virtual" hostname with the IP address of the device's management
station (that may be duplicate).

Anyway I'd really like to know what everyone thinks about this, and how you do
it in a sensible way.