contact_groups and contacts

Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk Julian_Grunnell at tdwh.co.uk
Tue Nov 20 12:03:34 CET 2012

Hi - wonder if someone can explain this to me, or tell me if I'm defining
my service incorrectly. I have a simple TCP check as such:

define service{
        use                     remote-service
        service_description     DESKTOP SNA SERVICE TCP 4097
        notification_interval   5
        hostgroup_name          desktopsnahisservers
        contact_groups          dtns-admins24x7
        contacts                tdwilkn
        check_command           check_sts!4097
        }

define serviceescalation{
        hostgroup_name          desktopsnahisservers
        service_description     DESKTOP SNA SERVICE TCP 4097
        first_notification      2
        last_notification       0
        notification_interval   5
        contacts                tdwillc
        }

Is it ok to have both contact_groups and contacts defined in the same
service? I ask because this check failed for a couple of hours over the
weekend but looking in the nagios log I can see that on the first
notification both dtns-admins24x7 and tdwilkn got an email. But then every
5mins ONLY dtns-admins24x7 got an email - tdwilkn received nothing more
when he should have.

I also have a serviceescalation defined and this worked as expected with
tdwillc also getting an alert every 5mins after the 2nd failure.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Julian.

Julian Grunnell | Unix Analyst, Infrastructure | TD Direct Investing
T: +44 (0) 113 346 2824 | M: +44 (0) 7889 352527

Consider the environment: Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.

Confidentiality:  This email and its attachments are intended for the above named only and may be confidential.  If they have come to you in error you must take no action based on them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone; please reply to this email and highlight the error.

Viruses:  Although we have taken steps to ensure that this email and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient should ensure that they are actually virus-free.

Brokerage services provided by TD Direct Investing (Europe) Limited (a subsidiary of The Toronto-Dominion Bank).  Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA registered number 141282), member of the London Stock Exchange and the PLUS market. Incorporated in England and Wales under registration number 2101863.  Registered office: Exchange Court, Duncombe Street, Leeds LS1 4AX. Banking services provided by TD Bank N.V. authorised and regulated by De Nederlandsche Bank and the Financial Services Authority for UK Business (FSA registered number 216791).  Incorporated in the Netherlands and registered as a branch in England and Wales under branch registration number BR006780.