Nagios implied and additive inheritance

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Mon Mar 26 22:11:04 CEST 2012

On 3/26/2012 2:04 PM, Jim Winkle wrote:
> I'd like to set up Nagios so that:
> 1) In general, contact_groups for a host are notified about problems with the host and any service on the host.
> 2) Occasionally, we'd like other contact_groups to be notified about problems with certain services on the host.
>
> Am I misunderstanding the documentation?  Is this possibly a bug?

I couldn't get it to work that way, either.  Instead, I defined a
service escalation that activates on the first notification.  Something
like this might work:

define serviceescalation {
	host_name		linux-server
	service_description	1_proc_sshd
	contact_groups		management
	first_notification	1
	last_notification	0
	escalation_options	w,c,r
}

I assign services to hosts with hostgroups, so I have a hostgroup_name
in my escalation definition instead of just a host_name.

--
-Chris

Nothing in this message is intended to make or accept an offer or to form a contract, except that an attachment that is an image of a contract bearing the signature of an officer of our company may be or become a contract. This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. It may contain information that is non-public, proprietary, privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law or may constitute as attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, we hereby notify you that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete this message immediately.

Thank you.