monitoring batch jobs

Tom H tom at limepepper.co.uk
Fri Mar 9 10:07:24 CET 2012

On 09/03/12 08:40, Marki wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> is there a recommended way of monitoring batch jobs when the only kind-of log
> available are mails sent by each part of the job?
>
> In that case one should also find out if a certain mail was NOT sent, i.e. has
> not arrived in a certain timeperiod.
>
> While all of this is somehow scriptable, I thought I would ask first if there
> exists something to build such a solution upon...

I am looking for something similar, to integrate with some backup jobs
that run as a script and then upload to a cloud service. Mainly because
we have the alert, acknowledge, resolve (or escalate) and all the
contacts etc setup in nagios by chef.

You could modify one of the pop3 or IMAP checks to login to an account
and parse the results... for example..
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Network-Protocols/IMAP4-and-POP3

Cheers,
Tom