Monitoring Cisco IDS/IPS SSM Modules

RichTea mail at catsnest.co.uk
Fri Jun 8 15:26:32 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM, Joseph Hardeman <jwhardeman at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Eero,
>
> I had to go to the archives on SourceForge to see your reply.  I am not
> getting emails from the list.
>
> No, unfortunitely that won't work.  I am looking for a plugin that will
> query the SSM IPS module for any security breach attempts or that will
> monitor a log file from syslog-ng capturing the SSM syslog data and will
> then send either an SNMP trap or trigger a passive alert.

If you are happy to "tail" the syslog you can just use the Nagios check_log
plugin.
With a custom service. i see from the above the syslog file in on the
Nagios server.

some sort of service like this applied to the device.

define service {
    name check_local_syslog
    command $USER1$/check_log --filename=/path/to/syslog/$HOSTNAME$ -some
other option (sorry i dont have access to man at the moment)
}

--
<-- http://23.me.uk/2 -->
<--Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.  -->