I cant get notifications for service alerts

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed Jan 25 21:02:46 CET 2012

From: Andrew Thompson [mailto:andrew at fulgent.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 9:15 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] I cant get notifications for service alerts

[snip]

So I thought I would so the reverse and setup the disk check commands and
disable host alerts and just have service alerts for when said server goes
over the critical disk space limit I have sent.

Problem is no service alerts get sent out no matter how long the host is in
critical state!

If I enable host and service alerts for the disk check command I get host
alerts to say that the host is DOWN (which it isn't its CRITICAL)

My test disk_check config file is located at the below link, thought it be
best to provide the whole lot rather than snippets.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/895609/disk_space_test.cfg

Can anybody explain why I don't get any service alerts when the host goes
CRITICAL and how I can get them please without having host alerts enabled as
I don't want them for my disk check commands

--

If a service check fails, your host check will be called.  That's how Nagios
knows if a check is failing because the service is broken, or if it's

Your host check should generally be a simple check they will tell you
whether a host is up or down. Setting things up the way you have will cause
the behavior you are seeing.

If you really don't want a host check, just use a dummy check that always
succeeds.