GSM gateway - virtualization ...

C. Bensend benny at bennyvision.com
Wed Jan 18 15:16:25 CET 2012

> I'm running Nagios on OpenSUSE. OpenSUSE is a virtual machine under the
> Windows 2008 HYPER-V. I'd like to send SMS messages instead of e-mails,
> because mails can't be delivered in case the SMTP server is down. I
> don't know  any specific hardware for GSM gateway and I have no idea how
> to use it in virtual environment, how to connect it to RS232? port in
> the host machine and forward it to the Nagios on the SUSE virtual??
> Would anyone be so kind and give me an advice and will share his opinions?

We run Nagios servers as virtual machines on mid-sized ESX clusters,
so our VMs might end up on any given ESX host at any given time.  As
a result, I virtualized our serial modem using the IOLAN product from
Perle.  It is basically a network-to-serial adapter.  Our serial USR
modem plugins into it, and it plugs into the network.

Then, on the Nagios servers (RHEL), the Perle software is installed
and creates a "serial port" that Nagios talks to.  That virtual
port simply talks to the IOLAN device over the network, and acts as
a local serial modem.  Now, our Nagios servers can end up anywhere
they like, and the modem always stays "local" as far as Nagios is
concerned.

It's not infallible, every now and again the two components lose
communications, but I check for that via Nagios.  There certainly
exists the possibility that we could:

1) Lose communications with the virtual modem

AND

2) Have a widespread network outage

at the same time that would completely clobber notifications, but
the chances are pretty minor, and the costs are very reasonable.

Benny

--
"Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat
with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state