Using display_name in a Host Definition

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Fri Jan 13 16:41:37 CET 2012

Ben Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to use the display_name param in my host definitions. But
> it's not being used as the host name in the Nagios website.

$ grep display_name cgi/*

> I know that the document website [1] says 'Note: The current CGIs do
> not use this option, although future versions of the web interface
> will.' but I have found a bug [2] that has been marked as fixed. Did
> this bug make it into Nagios Core?

this feature was reported to nagios as display_name for statusmap.cgi,
somewhere on nagios-devel lists.

i took the liberty to implement full display_name support in icinga
classic ui at that time but never reported nor backported a patch to nagios.

given the recent statement by nagios developers on not enhancing the
nagios classic ui anymore, i don't see the need to invest some spare
time to backport feature patches from icinga to nagios anymore. i for
myself only use icinga with classic ui, so call me happy.

for the time being, i'd suggest migrating to OMD where you'll get the
best of all worlds (nagios, icinga, shinken as well as guis supporting
display_name).

jm2c,
michael

> I'm running Nagios® Core™ Version 3.3.1.
>
> Regards
>
> Ben
>
> [1] http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#host
> [2] https://dev.icinga.org/issues/307