How to reschedule multiple/all services at once

Michael Friedrich michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
Tue Jan 10 21:57:53 CET 2012

On 10.01.2012 21:14, Jake Xu wrote:
> Just attached Andreas' response from another thread.
>
> @Dan, I've taken a look at Multisite. It seems to have some crazy
> batch commands/comments which are exactly what I am looking for. I
> tried it a bit but ended up getting segfault from apache when I
> accessed the webpage localhost/check_mk/. It's probably because I have
> too many sites running on my test box. Will try again later. Thanks
> for the recommendation.

multsite requires mk_livestatus as core neb module. keep that in mind
when installing it. ah well, and it's python. that could be the problem
on your apache. best will be to debug it on the logs and report back to
developers.

> @Michael, Icinga would be good if I started from sratch. It is pain
> for me to migrate everything to Icinga though because the default file
> structure is different and the web ui is not as straightforward as
> Nagios core. Thanks for showing me the OMD, didn't aware of it at all.

migration is not really painful when you know the right docs to read (i
won't post them here, see the official docs). that comes to mind when
reading omd as well where the file structures remains even more
different (site based), but that's one of those things being traversed
into a benefit of keeping different sites for testing and having one as
production setup - and doing other upgrade stuff.
icinga webui - there are 2 of them (new idoutils based and old
classicui, having 2 developer teams on the project). when comparing
icinga's classic ui to nagios classic ui, compound commands is one of
those things people are asking a lot about (mostly for acknowledging
problems, but also to schedule checks or downtimes). to be honest, i
couldn't work with nagios classic ui again if someone would pin me other
there. but that's just my humble opinion and not really liked ;)
as remarked by andreas, nagios developers do not seem to have the
intention to feature enhance the classic ui so it will be a dead end
requesting features like compound commands. patching that is not really
funny, but you can meet rune or ricardo on irc.freenode.net and ask by
yourself ;-)

generally speaking you should give the omd setup a test install and then
decide what to do. if you now stick with nagios core 3.2.3 and wait for
a 3.4.x stable release until you test various other guis and tools,
wouldn't make much difference then not doing it ;-)

> @Andreas, I am defining "large number of hosts" as >= one thousand,
> and each host is likely to have +/- 10 services, so you get the idea
> :) I agree with you that Thruk doesn't look as good as others, so I am
> looking into Check_MK Multisite as it has some pretty useful
> commands/shortcuts/features. I don't use the report feature that much,
> so Multisite should be good enough.  Yeah, hacking the cgi is really
> undesirable. I will just try to adapt anohter UI like Multisite.

even if thruk doesn't look that good, it is feature rich and sven is a
good developer responding fast to ideas and demands. and from what i
have seen, you can use other templates as well - perl catalyst power.
someone might have wanted a mindmap or an integrated config editor as
well - he added that to thruk. irc or the nagios portal might be the
best address to discuss such topics though.

kind regards,
michael

email:     michael.friedrich at univie.ac.at
phone:     +43 1 4277 14359