.Re: How to reschedule multiple/all services at once

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jan 10 10:18:36 CET 2012

On 01/09/2012 08:53 PM, Jake Xu wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
>> From time to time, I need to restart or reschedule all services to verify
> that some new checks or new hosts are working properly. Is there any easy
> way to do that? I have a large number of hosts and services, so it would be
> tedious to click through a bunch of links via the web interface. Using
> external command is not very feasible as well because I would have to have
> all host names and service names for the command line commands.
>
> I have seen a pretty good idea on Icinga, a Nagios fork, for this purpose.
> It has a checkbox associated with each service check and a select-all
> checkbox to select all checkboxes. It would be useful to have that on the
> Nagios Core, but AFAIK there isn't any.

Pretty much all other UI's but the basic one has this capability. Speedwise,
I'd imagine Thruk and Multisite would suit you very well. It sort of depends
on how you define "large number of hosts and services" though. Most UI's
scale just fine to a couple of thousand hosts, although certain parts of it
might suck donkey balls with huge networks. Multisite suffers when creating
reports, for example, but is crazy fast at showing current status. Thruk is
faster at both (last time I checked), but it's, imo, pretty ugly (sorry Sven)
and lacks a bunch of boss-bling type features that other UI's have.

YMMV.

As for adding that capability to the "default" ui; That's not going to happen
unless someone provides a patch for it. None of the maintainers have any
interest in adding features to the cgi, so they're there simply as a fallback
and will most likely be removed some time in the future in favour of a ui
written in some more easily hackable language.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se

on peace.