Parent/Child relationship for HV/VM

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Jan 4 11:11:59 CET 2012

On 4 January 2012 07:53, Claudio Kuenzler <ck at claudiokuenzler.com> wrote:
> I created a fake host (with IP 0.0.0.0) for the cluster with active checks
> and notifications disabled.
> This way I have one and the same parent for all VM's in that cluster.
>
> Let me show it this way:
>
> switch ---> esx1------------>  VM-CLUSTER-1 ----------> VM1
> | ------------> esx2------------>  | --------------------------------> VM2
> | ------------> esx3------------>  | --------------------------------> VM3
> | ------------> esx4------------>  |---------------------------------> VM4
>
> I hope you see what I'm trying to show.
> In text:
> Parent of vm's 1-4 is the 'fake' host VM-CLUSTER-1. Parents of VM-CLUSTER-1
> are esx1, esx2, esx3, esx4. Parent of esx1-4 is switch.
>
> Positive: You can represent the cluster with a host and in the map it's
> clearly seen which physical hosts are part of this cluster.
> Negative: The host will stay "grey" (pending) in Nagios as no check will be
> executed on the fake host.
>
> In Nagvis it looks good and it makes sense.

That's a good idea.

Another advantage is if you add or remove host servers to the cluster
you only need to change the one host definition.

You could use check_cluster as the host check for your fake host, then
its status would be meaningful too.  I'll have a go at doing that
myself when I get a minute.

The documentation for check_cluster if you run "check_cluster --help"
isn't all that helpful.  Some examples can be found after some
googling for example at:

http://www.nagios-wiki.de/nagios/doku3/clusters

If I recall I learned how to use the check_cluster plugin by reading
Wolfgang Barth's book.

Cheers,

Jim