Parent/Child relationship for HV/VM

Claudio Kuenzler ck at claudiokuenzler.com
Wed Jan 4 08:53:34 CET 2012

I created a fake host (with IP 0.0.0.0) for the cluster with active checks
and notifications disabled.
This way I have one and the same parent for all VM's in that cluster.

Let me show it this way:

switch ---> esx1------------>  VM-CLUSTER-1 ----------> VM1
| ------------> esx2------------>  | --------------------------------> VM2
| ------------> esx3------------>  | --------------------------------> VM3

I hope you see what I'm trying to show.
In text:
Parent of vm's 1-4 is the 'fake' host VM-CLUSTER-1. Parents of VM-CLUSTER-1
are esx1, esx2, esx3, esx4. Parent of esx1-4 is switch.

Positive: You can represent the cluster with a host and in the map it's
clearly seen which physical hosts are part of this cluster.
Negative: The host will stay "grey" (pending) in Nagios as no check will be
executed on the fake host.

In Nagvis it looks good and it makes sense.