check_dhcp failing to return OK from virtualised DHCP servers

Steve Hennerley steveh at telnet.co.nz
Fri Feb 24 04:39:46 CET 2012

Hi All,

I've been tearing my hair out and unsuccessfully googling this problem for what feels like a lifetime... I'm coming to the conclusion I've missed something blindingly obvious as nobody else in the world seems to have my problem.

I have a Nagios 2 server (standalone machine) monitoring my environment.  In the same subnet are 2 domain controllers, each providing DHCP (separate scopes as per M$ guidelines).  The kicker appears to be that since these two servers are virtualised, the check_dhcp plugin seems to think that the DHCP addresses are coming from the VIRTUAL HOST via the servers as a proxy.

Check_dhcp is version:  check_dhcp v1.4.15 (nagios-plugins 1.4.15)

Here's my check_dhcp output - I'm looking to find either 192.168.1.12 or 192.168.1.11 as DHCP addresses from the servers. (the VMhost they live on is 192.168.1.1)  (IPs changed to protect the innocent!)

# ./check_dhcp -v -s 192.168.1.12 -s 192.168.1.11
Requested server address: 192.168.1.12
Requested server address: 192.168.1.11
DHCP socket: 3
Hardware address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
DHCPDISCOVER to 255.255.255.255 port 67
DHCPDISCOVER XID: 294279994 (0x118A5B3A)
DHCDISCOVER ciaddr:  0.0.0.0
DHCDISCOVER yiaddr:  0.0.0.0
DHCDISCOVER siaddr:  0.0.0.0
DHCDISCOVER giaddr:  0.0.0.0
send_dhcp_packet result: 548

recv_result_1: 300
recv_result_2: 300
receive_dhcp_packet() result: 300
receive_dhcp_packet() source: 192.168.1.12
Result=OK
DHCPOFFER from IP address 192.168.1.1 via 192.168.1.12
DHCPOFFER XID: 294279994 (0x118A5B3A)
DHCPOFFER chaddr: 00065B22CF10
DHCPOFFER ciaddr: 0.0.0.0
DHCPOFFER yiaddr: 192.168.0.8
DHCPOFFER siaddr: 192.168.1.1
DHCPOFFER giaddr: 0.0.0.0
Option: 53 (0x01)
Option: 1 (0x04)
Option: 58 (0x04)
Option: 59 (0x04)
Lease Time: 0 seconds
Renewal Time: 43200 seconds
Rebinding Time: 75600 seconds
Added offer from server @ 192.168.1.1 of IP address 192.168.0.8

recv_result_1: 300
recv_result_2: 300
receive_dhcp_packet() result: 300
receive_dhcp_packet() source: 192.168.1.11
Result=OK
DHCPOFFER from IP address 192.168.1.1 via 192.168.1.11
DHCPOFFER XID: 294279994 (0x118A5B3A)
DHCPOFFER chaddr: 00065B22CF10
DHCPOFFER ciaddr: 0.0.0.0
DHCPOFFER yiaddr: 192.168.1.106
DHCPOFFER siaddr: 192.168.1.1
DHCPOFFER giaddr: 0.0.0.0
Option: 53 (0x01)
Option: 1 (0x04)
Option: 58 (0x04)
Option: 59 (0x04)
Lease Time: 0 seconds
Renewal Time: 43200 seconds
Rebinding Time: 75600 seconds
Added offer from server @ 192.168.1.1 of IP address 192.168.1.106

No (more) data received (nfound: 0)
Result=ERROR
Total responses seen on the wire: 2
Valid responses for this machine: 2
CRITICAL: Received 2 DHCPOFFER(s), 0 of 2 requested servers responded, max lease time = 0 sec.

Grrrrrrrr.... It's so frustrating knowing the plugin is seeing my servers but misinterpreting what it's seeing!

This message contains confidential information and is for the intended recipient only. If you have any reason to believe that you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. Telnet Services Limited, or the sender therefore do not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.