Where can arguments go?

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Wed Feb 22 22:27:32 CET 2012

On Wed, February 22, 2012 12:36, Jonathan Nilsson wrote:

>> I'm thinking of using the router as a parent; if the failure isn't found
>> by the check_command but only by one service failing, will that still
>> cause the whole router host to be considered down for parent purposes?
>>

> Ah, I had never thought to setup dependency relationships like that for
> the
> sake of notifications. But that makes sense - getting one notification
> about the switch is better than tons of false notifications about the
> services behind the switch!

It's also probably fiddling around with small-percentage improvements, but
I'm somewhat theoretically-minded, so the fact that it *can* go wrong and
there might be a better way was bothering me.

Anyway, that's what I was thinking about.  Thanks for confirming that the
check_command is what defines "host down", I thought so but wasn't
confident.

(Nagios documentation is pretty good as such things go, mostly when I get
confused I eventually work out that what I had wrong was right in a
not-too-weird place in the docs.)
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info