Have we reached some kind of Nagios limit?

Frost, Mark {BIS} mark.frost1 at pepsico.com
Tue Feb 21 00:23:27 CET 2012

Thanks, Sven.  I'm almost certain you're correct.  For some reason I had thought that when I turned on large_installation_tweaks some time ago that environment variables were turned off.   However, now I see that it only turns off summary macros.   Not sure how I misinterpreted that.

So it would make sense that in the case of this particular collection of hosts and services that Nagios was probably creating such a large set of environment variables that it was perhaps overriding a shell limit and preventing the exec'd check from properly executing.  I did some preliminary tests and turning that off cleared things up.  And of course, in addition to fixing this issue, I believe I'm going to get a performance boost (or at least a resource usage drop) as an added bonus.

Unfortunately the only place I do currently use environment variables is with several event scripts.   Changing those scripts to use command-line variables is proving to be rather a pain in the butt given how many variables I have them check.   But I'm getting there.

Thanks very much for your help!

Mark