Submitting patches for NRPE (was: Re: NRPE and include_dir)

mail at catsnest.co.uk mail at catsnest.co.uk
Tue Feb 14 10:01:42 CET 2012

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 1:32 AM, Mike Chesnut
<mikec at aggregateknowledge.com>wrote:

> Wanted to take one last stab at this topic from several months ago (I
> brought it up on this list last March/April).
>
> The issue, as I see it: when you use an include_dir in your nrpe.cfg,
> the files from that directory are loaded in a nondeterministic manner.
> This means that you cannot reliably do something like have a "base" nrpe
> client config file that goes on all of your hosts, but then have a
> host-specific one that supercedes that base config file for specific
> commands.
>
> The fix is simple, and I have a patch (against nrpe 2.12) ready that
> I've been running in production for almost a year now.  I see that there
> is now a 2.13 and I've confirmed that the patch would be the same (the
> function in question is no different in the newer version).
>
> I've also submitted this patch to Icinga already, as they seemed
> receptive to it and I wanted to get it out for broader testing/use.
>
> I cannot find any information about how to go about submitting a patch
> for nrpe.  The one thing I've seen is that I can open a bug on
> sourceforge, but I'm not sure where that gets me (and as I've learned,
> we don't all agree that this is a "bug" per se to begin with).  I also
> do not see any way to change the documentation (which apparently only
> exists as an .odt file) to explicitly clarify the behavior.
>
> Can anybody point me in the right direction, please?

I am just a user but It does sound like a good idea eg a determinined
behavior rather then an undetermined one.
 Not that i agree with the lets over ride commands idea but anyway.

I would suggest submitting the patch to the list and seeing if any one is
willing to pick this up and test it.
I dont see how but people could be relying on the existing behaviour, so
this would require a lot of testing.

Dont forget most of the Devs are unpaid or only paid to implement specific
feathers so they are giving there own time up so will only work on what
they feel useful.

Anyhow sorry for the evangelical rant.
Ritchie.