monitor hosts behind firewalls

Jorge Pañeda jlpaneda at scio.com.mx
Tue Feb 7 17:31:50 CET 2012

Hi,

You should use check_nrpe for linux boxes and nsca for you windows boxes with nsclient++ . I have configured both in my environment and I’m able to monitor remote host  (Windows & Linux) behind firewalls. You can use these guides to accomplish your purposes.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nrpe/NRPE.pdf
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/download/contrib/documentation/misc/NSCA_Setup.pdf

I also recommend you to read these links to understand better how nsca, nrpe and nsclient++ work together. And also the built in checks you can perform with them:
http://www.nsclient.org/nscp/wiki/doc/usage/nagios/nsca
http://nsclient.org/nscp/wiki/doc/usage/nagios/nrpe

Hope this help you,

Regards,

Jorge L. Pañeda

Systems Administrator
Scio Consulting | IT & Infrastructure Dept.
Las Cañadas 501 Int. 230 Col. Tres Marías
Morelia, Mich., México Tel. (443) 310-96-01 y (443) 310-96-02 ext. 402
U.S. Phone: 408 404 3897 Ext. 402
www.sciodev.com