Configuration Management for Nagios services/hosts/commands definitions

Tom H tom at limepepper.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 10:10:36 CET 2012

On 02/02/12 08:14, Bram Gillemon wrote:
> Tom,
>
> how do you manage your configurations with chef?
>
> Do you use attributes per cookbook to manage the different roles you can add to your server? How do you pass the ports to your nagios?
>
> I'm trying to figure out how i can manage all my configuration files using chef.

Originally, well still mostly, I have each role declaring a list of
nagios client ports which the nagios::server recipe collects using node
search on nagios attributes and adds to the template.

However I am thinking of creating an abstraction layer in a "network"
cookbook that declares a LWRP called "Port" that would be declared in
network services cookbooks and used like so ... say for mysql;

|Port ||"mysql-port"| |do|
|||number 3306
   state "OPEN"
   protocol "TCP"
|end

The benefit here is that a recipe for any monitoring program could come
and get the ports for an app, such as monit, nmap, zabbix and it could
even by used for configuring firewalls by adding some "Rule" abstraction.

However other than proving the concept with MySQL, thats as far as I got.

Cheers,
Tom