check_openmanage: Physical Disk ... Undefined value 4096

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Wed Feb 1 17:56:03 CET 2012

Helmut Wollmersdorfer <helmut.wollmersdorfer at fixpunkt.de> writes:

> Physical Disk 0:0:0 [Dell WDC WD1003FBYX-18Y7B0, 1.0TB] on ctrl 0
> needs attention: Undefined value 4096

Hello Helmut,

The "state" value for physical disks via SNMP is an integer, which is
translated by the plugin. There are a few defined values, and 4096 is
not one of them.

> On the console of the server:
>
> # /opt/dell/srvadmin/bin/omreport storage pdisk controller=0 vdisk=0
> List of Physical Disks belonging to VD10A
>
> Controller PERC H700 Integrated (Slot 4)
>
> Span 0
> ID                        : 0:0:0
> Status                    : Unknown
> Name                      : Physical Disk 0:0:0
> State                     : Unknown
> Power Status              : Spun Up
> Bus Protocol              : SATA
> Media                     : HDD
> Revision                  : 01.01V02
> Failure Predicted         : No
> Certified                 : Yes
> Encryption Capable        : No
> Encrypted                 : Not Applicable
> Progress                  : Not Applicable
> Mirror Set ID             : 0
> Capacity                  : 931.00 GB (999653638144 bytes)
> Used RAID Disk Space      : 931.00 GB (999653638144 bytes)
> Available RAID Disk Space : 0.00 GB (0 bytes)
> Hot Spare                 : No
> Vendor ID                 : DELL
> Product ID                : WDC WD1003FBYX-18Y7B0
> Serial No.                : WD-WCAW3145836558365
> Part Number               : TH0V8FCR1255213BC4RGA00
> Negotiated Speed          : 3.00 Gbps
> Capable Speed             : 3.00 Gbps
> Manufacture Day           : Not Available
> Manufacture Week          : Not Available
> Manufacture Year          : Not Available
> SAS Address               : 4433221107000000
>
> [same for all 4 disks of the array]
>
> Thus it seems that check_openmanage works correctly. Also the disk-
> array seems to work correctly (no error messages in the logs).
>
> Is this some sort of wrong diagnostic from the firmware/controller?

No, this is not normal behaviour. I've seen this only on disks that were
so damaged that Openmanage failed miserably when attempting to get info
from them. Clearly this is not the case here, as you get the same error
on multiple disks and they otherwise work fine.

If you haven't already, you should try upgrading all BIOS and firmware
on the server, especially the controller firmware. You should also
upgrade Openmanage if you're not running the latest version (6.5.0).

If all else fails, I would contact Dell support and have them look at
it.

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo